Sunday, April 27, 2008

A little bit of Info about Mormons!!

I am a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints. Sometimes known as the mormons. One needed only to see stuff that was said about our church when Romney was running in the political race to know that it is out there. All the stuff that was said, really bothered me and I wanted to write a post on my blog then, but I didn't because I'm always afraid of offending anyone. But I'm learning that people are going to be offended no matter what I do. Predjudices start because of ignorance and the cure for ignorance is education. So I am going to educate my family and friends a little in my religion. The first thing I want everyone to notice is that in the name of our church you will find that Jesus Christ is part of it. We DO believe in Christ! We believe that he was born of the virgin, Mary, that he ministered to the people, that he died on the cross and that he was resurrected. To me, that means that we ARE Christians. We strive to follow his example set forth in the bible. We also believe that after Christ ascended back into heaven and his apostles were killed, that the true church was taken from the earth. We believe that in the 1800's, a boy 14 years of age, was trying to decide what church to join. That boy was Joseph Smith and his family was split between two churches and he didn't know which one was right. He was reading the bible and came across a scripture in James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." So he decided to pray about it. He went into the woods by his home and knelt down in prayer. First he felt such a darkness about him and just when he was going to give up, he saw a light in front of him. Soon two personages were before him. One pointed to the other and said, "This is my beloved Son, hear him." Joseph was told that none of the churches had the full truthfulness and that he was to join none of them. To make a very long story short, over several years, Joseph was visited by angels and whisperings of the spirit to help to restore the fulness of Christ's gospel back to the earth. I know this sounds crazy and strange, but I believe that God can perform miracles. And if he can perform miracles then why not the miracle of establishing his church on the earth again, with prophets, and temples, etc. Why not have angels come down and pass on the power and authority that Christ had when he was on the earth? Why not show himself to a 14 year old boy who was of no threat to anyone, who was not learned, and who had the faith to ask a simple question? Now I ask you to think that if what I'm saying is true, how would Satan react to this? Would he let this church form without putting up a fight? Would he not suffer the church to be persecuted, like the church of old, like Christ was, like his apostles were? Would he not try to get this boy to take back everything he said, by putting it into the hearts of others to torture him several times, including having him tarred and feathered? Would he not put it into the hearts of people to exterminate the Mormons? And would he not have malicious rumors spread all over the earth about this church so that none would even listen to a word they had to say? I'm here to tell you he would!! But God is mightier than Satan, and his church was still established despite these oppositions. And people do listen to the gospel all over the world. I am not expecting everyone to go out and join my church, because I believe in the freedom of choice. What I do expect is the benefit of the doubt. What I am saying could be true. You can't disprove it. I also ask that if any of you have heard stuff about my religion that you don't understand, PLEASE ask me about it. PLEASE don't believe every rumor you hear. If you want to know something, ask me. I can live with any of you disagreeing with what I believe, but I can't live with you judging my religion on false information. Please allow me to put things straight. Here is a link to a website called http://www.mormon.org/ this also can help to answer questions you may have about my church. PLEASE, PLEASE come to me with any questions you may have. I love all my friends and family and I just want to educate you not convert you (unless you ask.) Thank You!!

3 comments:

Jenni James said...

wahoo, Nikki! Way to go! That was awesome!

NancyM said...

And you didn't serve a mission because....why? You said it all. I am proud of you!! I love you.

Unknown said...

Nikki, That was very well put. Thank you!!
Marla